I have been taught over the last several years that tithing means less troubles in life. The question was often posed this way, "You wonder why you have car troubles? You wonder why you don't have enough money to cover the bills? Could it be because you aren't tithing your 10%?" This often left me feeling guilty, especially when money troubles crept in.
I've been reading Job lately and my eyes have been opened to a whole new idea. Job had many trials in his life. He lost everything! He lost his family, his wealth, everything! But he remained faithful to God, even in the moments when his own friends tried to tell him that he must have some unconfessed sin in his life that made God take everything away from him.
The fact is, not everything bad in our lives is a result of sin. We live in a fallen world. I have a Life Application study bible and here is what today's notes were:
"Job's friends assumed that troubles comes only because people sin. People make the same mistake today when they assert that sickness of lack of material blessing is a sign of unconfessed sin or lack of faith. Though normally (but not always) following God leads to a happier life, and rebelling against (but not always) leads to an unhappy life, God is in control. In our wold invaded by sin, calamity and suffering may come to good and bad alike...The next time you face trials and dilemmas, see them as opportunites to turn to God for strength. You will find a God who only desires to show his love and compassion to you. If you can trust him in pain, confusion, and loneliness, you will win the victory and eliminate doubt, one of Satan's greatest footholds in your life. Make God your foundation. You can never be separated from his love."
So, I challenge you (and myself) to look for God in the tough times. Be humbled by his love for you! He allows evil for a time although he often turns it around for our good (Romans 8:28). When I tithe, it won't be to make sure I don't have car trouble. It will be out of a heart that WANTS to give back to God because he gave to me first. When bad things happen, I will TRUST in the one who knows what's best for me and WAIT on him!
couldn't agree with you more Carla. Thank you for sharing this, I know a few people that could for sure use this encouragement, or even use the few to change their opinion on the theology of God will bless you if you tithe!
ReplyDeleteI think many Christians today accept that we are saved by grace, but don't cling to the truth of grace in our day to day life. Every blessing we receive is also by grace, not because of anything we have done. Grace didn't just stop at our salvation.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, there is loads and loads of biblical truth that living in disobedience has really yucky consequences. Like not tithing....it leads to just plain yuck. It's sin. And any sin leads to yuck. And I agree with you that tithing should be done with a joyful heart, but also with a disciplined, obedient one....one that's based on biblical truth, not a feelings-based theology.
Love you!