For those who don't live in the south, you might think of the food when you hear someone say grits. Well, now that I live in the south, I have learned that grits is also known as Girls Raised In The South. I like to call my girls GRITS, but they don't quite get it yet.
I am not a GRIT! I consider myself a California girl through and through and, although I've lived here in the south for 10 years, I still have that California in me. You know the old saying, "You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl." Well, take out country and insert California and you got a true statement for me.
It is very interesting to raise my girls in the south. I don't have a southern accent by the standards of southerners. I may have picked up a bit of an accent by my CA friends standards. My girls, however, are picking it up despite my lack of use. I don't eat things like black eyed peas, bbq, or biscuits and gravy, and yet my oldest does. My kids are learning about South Carolina history and I know NOTHING about it. Try helping your daughter do Social Studies homework without a book! She loves the fact that she can teach me about it.
I can tell you one thing I absolutely adore about the south: MY GRITS!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment