Today is Alyson's 9th birthday. In fact, as I write this, she really wouldn't have entered the world yet. Here is what I remember from that day.
Alyson was born April 24, 2001. It was a Tuesday. The Friday before, I had an ultrasound (still not sure why they scheduled one, they had not given any reason), where the tech asked me if I knew the baby was breach? I said, "No!" and began to worry as any new mom who had never been through this would do.
The doctor checked me and said, "Yep! That's definitely a butt. I can see why they thought it would be the head, but it's definitely a butt." Funny now, then, not so much. So, my options were to try and turn her (I was full term and this was not recommended) or to schedule a c-section. We opted for the c-section, although, this was really the last thing I wanted. Then we prayed for 3 days, that she would not arrive on her own. I really didn't want to go through an emergency c-section.
On Tuesday, we woke up at 5:30 to get ready to go to the hospital and meet our baby. We didn't know at the time if we were having a boy or a girl. I was so nervous and scared and excited. Such a weird combination of feelings. So, the doctors and nurses prepared me for surgery. They were able to start early and at 9:08, my beautiful daughter entered the world, all 8 lbs. 2 oz. She was my smallest baby of all 4 girls!
Being that Alyson was my first full term pregnancy, I had nothing to compare it with. After my pregnancy with Kelli, I realized how different Alyson's movements were. I realized that I only felt her movement right under my left rib cage. I though that was normal. Turns out, she was basically folded in half, with her feet by her head! Had I gone into labor before having that ultrasound, she would've tried to enter the world behind first! I can't imagine that would be a good thing. God's hand was definitely all over that situation.
Alyson loves people and it doesn't matter what the age is. She befriends children and adults alike! She has a way of making those connections so easily. Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed a change in my daughter. She has definitely matured and is handling the tough, disappointments in life with grace and understanding. It is wonderful to watch her grow into a young lady, who is learning what it means to live for God. I am excited to see what God is doing in her already and look forward to all that He's going to do in the future.
Happy Birthday, Alyson! I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment